Sacred Heart Pediatric Dental Clinic
Cantonment, FL - 32534
About Sacred Heart Pediatric Dental Clinic
Who We Serve
Our services are available to all children up to age 17 who are either on Medicaid or do not have the ability to pay for dental care. In Escambia County alone, there are 28,000 children eligible for this service, with over 50,000 children from South Alabama to DeFuniak Springs, Fla.
A new patient is scheduled for an initial exam, x-rays, cleaning, and given a treatment plan. After the initial exam, the patient is scheduled for all of their appointments to complete treatment. After completion, the patient is seen for regular cleanings and check-ups - just as they would in a private practice office.
All work is completed on a patient before more new patients can be seen, but children can be seen on an emergency basis through school nurses at area schools that call the clinic when a child is in pain.
In addition, the clinic sees 100-150 pediatric surgical patients per year on Fridays at the Sacred Heart surgical center for any extensive dental care that requires general anesthesia. There is a 4-month waiting list for appointments for the surgical center.
In 2005, the Pediatric Dental Clinic saw 1,008 new patients and scheduled over 6,000 appointments. New applicants can apply for treatment twice a year.
Pediatric Dental Facts
- Although dental caries (tooth decay) is largely preventable, it remains the most common chronic disease of children aged 5 to 17 years, and is 5 times more common than asthma.
- By age 17, more than 7 percent of children have lost at least one permanent tooth to decay.
- Fewer than 1 in 5 Medicaid-covered children received at least one preventive dental service in a recent year.
- The daily reality for children with untreated oral disease is often persistent pain, inability to eat comfortably or chew well, embarrassment at discolored and damaged teeth, and distraction from play and learning.
- More than 51 million school hours are lost each year because of dental-related illness.